Ha! I'm felling very smug because I cleaned out my cookbook binder, threw away a bunch of useless crap, and pulled out a bunch of main dish recipes out to make in the next few weeks. I checked my pantry for ingredients already on hand (many) and made a shopping list of what is needed (mostly just the fresh stuff, and my meat supply is low).
Would you like to know what we'll be eating around here? I'll just bet you would!!! I'll list it below, and as stuff is made I'll post the recipes. A few caveats:
Yes, there's a lot of ground beef. It's cheap and lower-fat versions are easily obtainable.
I'm totally not above cans of cream soup, canned corn, boxed stuffing, and other convenience items. Combined with healthier, fresh stuff these things make cooking after working all day a less-daunting task. I also try to use the lower sodium/lower fat/organic versions of such products, which also improves the evil factor of prepared foods.
Obviously we like tomato-based things and pasta. So there.
These 15 main dishes will probably stretch over the next 6 - 8 or more, given the travel schedule and the fact that I already have frozen lasagna, hamburger patties, chicken patties, a frozen meatloaf, and a few other items stashed away. These are also things that can mostly be refrigerated for left-over lunches or frozen for second meals. Salads, vegetables, and other side dishes will be added as appropriate. We even occassionally have desert! I can also make and serve tacos, tuna casserole, baked chicken and rice, mac n' cheese and hot dogs, and a few other stand-bys on an instantaneous basis(the ingredients are always present). And of course - there'a always cereal for dinner!
I'm not freakin' Martha Stewart, ok? We like the basics, we work and don't have the luxury of being home to whip up gourmet spreads on a daily basis, and we're kinda cheapskates (we shop at Costco and Walmart, and fill in from the local Lin's Market). There is netiher a Trader Joe's nor a Whole Foods Market in this part of our state. Our menu reflects those conditions. However, even with our fairly pedestrian tastes and limited budget/shopping options, cooking at home is less expensive, healthier, and more fun. And that leaves money for other, even-funner pursuits.
So here's the list. If you want a recipe for something before I post it, let me know.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Tamale Pie
Chicken Tortelini with Pesto
Baked Beef Ziti
Chicken Jambalaya
Beef Taco Skillet
Crock Pot Creamy Swiss Steak
Corey's BBQ Sloppy Turkey Joes
Hamburger Hash
Pork Chop and Stuffing Bake
Chicken Cacciatore
Baked Ravioli
Tomato Swiss Steak
Chicken and Stuffing Skillet
Baked Rigatoni with Beef
Crusted Honey-Mustard Chicken
Tonight we're having left-over Chick n' Noodies, of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment