So, no hiking or geocaching or adventuring for us today. :( Instead I stayed home and read, dozed, and puttered in the kitchen. In celebration of "Pi Day" I baked an apple pie - recipe straight out of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, including crust. I did modify it by using two Granny Smith and two Gala apples, and did a crumb topping instead of a top crust.
Our yummy, if not beautiful, apple pie.
With St. Patrick's Day coming up it was also time to think about Irish Soda Bread. We combined the two holidays and had our soda bread today, using this recipe. I skipped the caraway seeds and raisins and subbed one cup of dried cranberries. Also, I made my own sour milk as we didn't have buttermilk and there was no way I was going out of the house to buy any. The recipe called for sour cream, which I have never used in soda bread... but I will henceforth, as this is my new go-to recipe. It is WONDERFUL! We ate wedges sliced off while the bread was still warm from the oven, just plain, and mmmmmm! I think it will also be delicious for breakfast tomorrow toasted with butter and jam.
Fantastic Irish Soda Bread!
Dinner itself was this beef stew, made with two good-sized leeks instead of the onion, no rutabaga (!), and no green beans, but EXTRA carrots. YUM!
The stew beef I took out of the freezer was in a two-pound package, so since I only used one pound for the stew I'm going to turn the rest of it into Szechaun Beef tomorrow and add it to our left-over sesame noodles from last night (to which we added steamed carrots and toasted sesame seeds). I'm already looking forward to it....
Here's hoping that everyone's Pi Day was pie-tastic!
~Mamie "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!" (Hunter S. Thompson)


No comments:
Post a Comment