Monday, June 13, 2011

Not MIA exactly...

Despite my intention to NOT be involved in a heavy schedule of work-related activities this summer, an opportunity came along that I couldn't pass up.

A new series of Math Endorsement courses begins today, so I'll be spending 45 hours IN MATH CLASS this week... I know, I know, you're all so jealous!

Then I'll get to do it again for a week in July, and then EVERY Monday evening during the school year, and then for two more weeks (45 hour-courses each week) next summer - wheeeeeeeee!

But THEN I'll have Math Endorsement on my teaching license, which opens up more classroom opportunities. Also, adding endorsements to our licenses is the only way we can raise our pay as teachers. Due to budget constraints, many districts have frozen "step" increases, so there's no incremental pay increases according to years of experience. There are still "lane" increases for additional education/endorsements. I already am at Master's degree plus 20 units AND have two endorsements, so really the only way to increase my salary at all is to complete another endorsement program.

I like teaching math, so I'm nerdily excited to be starting 270 hours of graduate-level course in math... yes, really! But, the blogging will probably slow down a bit for a while. I'll keep you posted on my progress... maybe you can help me with some homework???


~Mamie "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!" (Hunter S. Thompson)

1 comment:

  1. um...definitely can't help you with your homework, and I HATE that you'll be less present on this blog, because I LOVE having you around, but YAY YOU! YAY Lane Increases! YAY Math!
    BTW...my favorite part of your post today..."nerdily excited" (I may have to borrow that because that describes me a lot of the time!)

    ReplyDelete