Sunday, October 23, 2011

Menu Plan 10/22 - 28/11

Another weekend, another meal plan! It really does save my sanity on school days, plus I'm always guaranteed to have some great leftovers to pack in my lunch during the week.


10/22: Steak on the grill, baked potatoes, green salad.  A great example of why it's cheaper to eat REAL food rather than processed junk: Yesterday we were out most of the day, doing errands like going to the library, recycling, Barnsie for some free magazine browsing, Intermountain Farmers for some (more!) canning supplies, and grocery shopping. We also had a huge and delicious lunch at a local Vietnamese restaurant with Mr. Mamie's boss and his family.  By the time we made it to the grocery store it was late afternoon and we were tired.  I hadn't planned dinners for the weekend, knowing that we would be shopping.  But it was late and we had other things we wanted to do in the evening, so there we were in the frozen section staring at lasagnas and pot pies.  Everything just seemed so expensive ($10 - $12 for "family sized" entrees) and processed, though!  I told Mr. Mamie that we should go look at the meat section and see if there was something that looked easily grill-able. We picked up a nice little steak - enough for the three of us to have a decent (not decadent) sized portion - and three large baking potatoes for under five dollars. Along with green salad made from lovely organic lettuces we already had at home we had an easy, delicious, inexpensive, and healthy dinner.

10/23: Chili Cornbread Bake, green salad. This recipe makes two 8"x8" pans, so I will have one to freeze for dinner another week.  At the Village grocery store yesterday I couldn't find the right sized package(s) of ground beef - either two 1-lb. packages or one 2-lb. (the recipe calls for 2.25-lb., but 2-lb. seems like enough).  Mr. Mamie spoke to the nice man at the meat counter, and he took two larger-than-one-pound packages out of the display and created the 2-lb. that I wanted. Now that's service that you won't get from The Walmartz! For brunch today we had our favorite Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles.

10/24: Honey Mustard Oregano Pork Chops, scalloped potatoes from a box (yes, processed food, I know), green beans, green salad.

10/25: Crockpot White Chicken Chili, green salad. I will be using pinto beans instead of pinquitos, because we have lots of cans pintos in the pantry. For the cheese we'll use the rest of the bag of pre-shredded "Mexican blend" as well as some fresh-shredded that we already have. This will change the color a little, but it doesn't bother me. Also, I have a can of  Green Giant "Mexi-corn" that's been sitting in the pantry for quite awhile, so that's going in instead of the cup of frozen corn. Tuesday is usually slow-cooker night because Mr. Mamie and I both have classes until after 7 in the evening.

10/26:  CORN - "clean out the refrigerator night." I will be at a Red Robin Restaurant fundraiser for school, eating dinner with my first grade team. GrandmaT and Mr. Mamie will have a left-overs buffet at home. I am sure that there will be plenty of White Chicken Chili for them, and they can add some corn bread or something to it.

10/27: Tortellini Soup, green salad, French bread.


10/28:  Grilled Orange Teriyaki Chicken (from the freezer), Yellow Rice, green beans, green salad. This meal got bumped from last week. We had Honey Baked Pork Chops instead, because we had just purchased a large package of pork chops for a good price.  We grilled them rather than baking and they were great!

Need a fun fall treat for a work meeting, class, family party, etc? Try this Fall Snack Mix from Cynthia Matzat's blog. Super cute, and it satisfies that salty/sweet combo craving! I took a huge bowl of it to my reading endorsement class last week and it was a big hit.
 
~Mamie "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!" (Hunter S. Thompson)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked the fall snack mix. My teachers liked it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete